7 Responses to “Teenage Drunk Drivers – A Serious Concern”
Leave a Reply
« Accepting a DWI Offense – Are You Ready To Do It?
Teenage Drunk Drivers – A Serious Concern
June 12, 2009
Chris M. Alexander
Statistics and Consequences of Teenage Drunk Driving
- One teenager is killed every hour due to drunken driving in the US
- At least 70% of teenagers have consumed alcohol before they are 21years of age
- Teenage drunk driving takes place mostly during night times and when two of them drive the vehicle.
- 75% of teenage drivers involved in a drunken driving accident did not wear their seat belts.
- 1/4th of motor vehicle accidents are caused due to teenage drunk driving. The dangerous drunk driving statistics are alarming for anyone who care of himself & other people’s well being.
- Among the overall alcohol consumption, underage drinking accounts for close to 20% of the drinking population.
- Males are more involved in teenage drinking and driving than females, while the percentage of female driving is also on the rise.
- Close to 14% of fatal vehicle accidents is due to teenage driving after consumption.
- Among the total drinking population close to 10 million of them are individuals below the legal drinking age of 21 years.
- A leading cause for deaths between the age group of 15 to 20 years is due to drunk driving.
- Of the total US population teenagers between the age group of 15 to 20 years constitute 7% of the total population.
- Loss accounting for 53 billion dollars is incurred due to teenage drinking and driving and underage drinking.
Remedial measures to curb increase in Teenage Drunk Drivers
A presentation of statistics pertaining to teenage drinking and driving entails the immediate need for curbing the rise in teenage drunk drivers and its consequences. The remedial measures involve positive measures from every side.
Teenagers tend to pose greater risk to both themselves and others.
- Parental concern is the first of all measures which will help in curbing teenage Drunk Driving. Their guidance and involvement exhibited by parents in bringing up their loved ones plays a vital role in making youngsters understand the hazards of drinking and driving.
- States have started imposing harsh penalties on teenagers who involve in drinking and driving.
- Legal drinking age is announced as 21 years of age which means drinking below 21 is a crime. Such regulations put a check on drinking habits if teenagers.
- Zero Tolerance law has been introduced in all states. According to this law individuals below the age of 21 are expected to drive a vehicle without consuming any amount of alcohol. Any amount of alcohol found in their body at the time of accident or even while driving, they are booked under DWI offense and subjected DWI conviction.
- DWI laws of the states have become very strict when it comes to dealing with teenagers who drive the vehicle under the influence of alcohol. Parents are also subject to conviction in cases where parents furnish alcohol to their teenage children, leading to a vehicle mishap.
- Strict laws have been enforced in order to control alcohol abuse among youngsters or minors who are found drinking, possessing or even trying to buy alcoholic drinks.
- The punishments imposed on underage drinking and driving cases involves suspension of driving license, huge fines and jail term. It also requires compulsory attendance of alcohol treatment programs in certain cases.
If you have an experience to share Teenage Drunk Driving please write to us. Sharing your experience might help in preventing many more of such incidence.
Tags: Drunk Driving, Statistics, Teenage Drivers, Teenage Drunk Driving